Dear list,

I'd like to stream video from my (usb-connected) camera via a web
server. The 1st I tried was to see if the camera works. So:

odin$ video
video: /dev/video: Permission denied
odin$ doas video
No protocol specified
video: cannot open display :0.0
odin$ xhost +
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
odin$ doas video
^Codin$

Ie, at last I saw an X window with the video. But is it possible to run
the video command as an ordinary user? (I had to doas...)

Next I want to stream the video via some kind of a server.
On the internet I saw people using 'ffmpeg' to serve the file somehow,
as well as using 'nginx' with the 'rtmp' module. Is any of this the way
how you would achieve the goal, or is it possible to use, say, the 'httpd'
server?

At this moment I know very little both about streaming and available
servers to do the job, and that's why I am asking for recommendation
based on some experience and knowledge.

Thank you for any comments.

Ruda