o...@mailo.com wrote:
> CPU: 100% idle
> load averages: 0.04, 0.06, 0.04

100% idle means "100% doing nothing". This is normal for a CPU that
does nothing.

> $ sysctl hw.sensors | grep temp
> hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=95.00 degC
> hw.sensors.acpitz0.temp0=79.00 degC (zone temperature)

This seems hot for doing nothing. Does it run cooler on Linux?

I also wonder if the reading is correct. Does the fan speed up further
than under linux? If the CPU has 95 degrees, you should be able to feel
a pretty hot airflow and hear the fan spinning high.

If this is not the case, I assume the reading is not correct.

Did you enable automatic frequency scaling?

$ cat /etc/rc.conf.local
apmd_flags=-A

> Also, it takes several seconds for xterm to redraw itself
> from top to bottom on my 1280x800 display.
> Is it because of NVIDIA graphics?

Stay away from Nvidia if possible (disable it in the BIOS if you have
hybrid graphics). Nvidia cards will be driven by the vesa / framebuffer
module, which is pretty slow on any hardware.

> Has it something to do with high temperature?

No.

If the machine has never been serviced and the temperature seems to be
high on any OS, then cleaning the heat sink and replacing the thermal
compound may help.

Best Regards,
Stefan