Theo de Raadt wrote in
 <61139.1597087...@cvs.openbsd.org>:
 |Philipp Klaus Krause <p...@spth.de> wrote:

 |>> Then perhaps in the interests of the public they should use the same
 |>> name, but I suspect they won't.
 |>
 |> The functionality (i.e. some way to reliably overwrite memory) already
 |> exists under different names: explicit_bzero in OpenBSD
 |
 |This one was first.

If i recall correctly others had already started using volatile
pointers to memset(3) before.  'Kind of strange that bcopy
etc. all were thrown away, just to bring back a bzero to
circumvent overoptimization of compilers.  That "reliably
overwrite memory" .. bugs me, i know that ship has sailed, but if
the programmer calls a function then for a reason.
Sorry, the topic concerns me.

--steffen