On 2020-08-12 05:11, Alan McKay wrote:
Hey folks,

This is one that is difficult to test in a test environment.

I've got OpenBSD 6.5 on a relatively new pair of servers each with 8G RAM.

With some scripting I'm looking at feeding block IPs to the firewalls
to block bad-guys in near real time, but in theory if we got attacked
by a bot net or something like that, it could result in a few thousand
IPs being blocked.  Possibly even 10s of thousands.

Are there any real-world data out there on how big of a block list we
can handle without impacting performance?

We're doing the standard /etc/blacklist to load a table and then have
a block on the table right at the top of the ruleset.

thanks,
-Alan

At Otto said, if you're using tables, then you should be fine. I'm doing geoip blocking and all sorts of filtering using a pf table that contains over 200 undecillion addresses (that obviously includes CIDR block expansion):

# Entries (+-)
9482 addresses added.
10859 addresses deleted.

# Entries (expanded CIDR blocks)
IPv4 addresses in table:  966545967
IPv6 addresses in table:  298179424470603435988810818668701155328

fw$ wc -l < /etc/pf-badhost.txt
  146541