‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, September 7, 2020 4:48 AM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
wrote:

> On 2020-09-07, tom ryan tomry...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > On 7/9/20 5:07 pm, Walt wrote:
> >
> > > I have a new server on order that should arrive in a few days.
> > > It's intended purpose is to replace my current firewall. It has no CD
> > > and so I'll make and use a bootable flash drive as described in the
> > > Installation Guide section of the FAQ.
> > > The server will have a second ssd drive and so I got to wondering
> > > if it might be useful to create a bootable partition on the drive and
> > > install the installation on it.
> > > I'm probably not going to do this but I am curious about whether it
> > > would work very well. I'll probably install a second copy of the OS on
> > > the second drive and mirror all configuration files to it so that if
> > > anything happens to the main drive, I can turn around and boot from the
> > > second and be up and running almost immediately.
>
> It's possible, but it's a challenge to keep them in sync.
>
> > Maybe you want to just run them in a softraid mirror...
> > https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidDI
>
> This helps with some types of problem (drive failure), but doesn't help
> with fat-fingered commands or bad upgrades that periodic or manual syncs
> would protect against.
>
> My suggestions would be to keep the config files in a management system
> of some sort. Whether that's a full-blown config management system like
> ansible/salt, one of the simpler tools like rset, judo, rdist, or even
> just commiting config files directly to a version control repository,
> they will all help get a system back up and running much more quickly.
> Keeping config changes to the minimum necessary helps too of course.

My primary reason for the second hard drive is to use faubackup to make
copies of /etc and /home to the second hard drive.  I will have a 1 TB
drive on the new machine and so I will have plenty of room for an extra
bootable copy of the OS on it.

Also, I keep copies of all the configuration files in a user directory and
make my changes there instead of /etc and /etc/sshd and then use a makefile
to copy the individual configuration files as necessary to /etc and
elsewhere. This makes it particularly easy to replace one computer with
another with a fresh copy of OpenBSD.

Walt