On 2020-09-08 04:16, Gregory Edigarov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> from around two weeks ago I am observing the overall system slow down.
> Everything work stable,
> but nearly every X application takes forever to open a window.
> also I am using tiling wm, and when workspace is switched,
> it takes a long time for the system to redraw a screen.
> I also noticed that some console scripts like ansible-doc
> are also starting slower then usual.
>
> this system only has 8 Gb RAM temporarily,
> but top says:
>
> Memory: Real: 1764M/5673M act/tot Free: 2183M Cache: 3284M Swap: 0K/32G
>
> so I do not think it is a memory issue.
>
> was just fine before,  so wondering what has happen.

> OpenBSD 6.8-beta (GENERIC.MP) #59: Fri Sep  4 22:46:14 MDT 2020
> dera...@amd64.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

well...that's less than two weeks old.  So I'm guessing either you had
the problem and figured, "let's upgrade, see if that fixes it" (not a
bad plan), or you are a regular upgrader (also good).  Can you say if
the problem started with an upgrade?  Or did it occur between upgrades?

> sd0 at scsibus1 targ 0 lun 0: <ATA, WDC WD1003FZEX-0, 01.0>

Any possibility you have a bad disk?  A few times in my life, I
have seen a bad disk that would have issues reading from the drive,
but succeed after a few retries, before it threw an error back to
the OS.  It would then reset its retry counter, and have the same
problem on the next read...and the one after that.  Result: horrible
performance, but it "worked".  (granted, I've been doing computer
support for almost 40 years now and I can think of two cases of this
happening that left me scratching my head for a long time, and maybe
a couple others similar to this that I don't recall so vividly, so
not exactly a common problem...but not unheard of, either.)

Nick.