Hi Carson,

Carson Chittom wrote on Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 09:51:45AM -0500:
> Jan Stary <h...@stare.cz> writes:

>> Can people please recommend a home laser printer
>> that is known to work well with OpenBSD?
>>
>> I would like to avoid cups, and possibly a2ps
>> and foo* and if= and all that dance
>> - a printer that speaks postscript and is as easy as
>> lp:lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

> HP at least used to (and I assume still do) make several decent
> printers that spoke Postscript.

That answer used to be spot on until about the year 2000.  After
that, quality of HP laser printers went down the drain very rapidly.
One office i worked in decided in 2003 that the then more then five
year old HP LaserJet might die from old age soon and bought a new
one to be safe and not experience service disruption.  The old one
was left running, too, because why not, and printing traffic was
shared about evenly between the two because people tended to use
the one closest to their desk.

When the *successor* of the new one died from old age about six to
eight years later (i.e. when two of the new ones had worn out one
after the other, don't remember how long they lasted exactly, but
not longer than three or four years i think), the old one was still
going strong.  If i remember correctly, when the pre-2000 one finally
did die from old age, it was probably fifteen years old, if not
more, with continuous office use.

I doubt HP printers have become better again, but i'm not sure.

> In particular, I've used the
> CP1525nw in the past with OpenBSD.  Haven't tried it in a couple
> years, though; none of my OpenBSD machines need to print, these
> days.

Same here.  Currently, a Kyocera P2135dn is sitting on the desk here,
but i can't say whether it is good because i'm printing so little.

To the OP, what matters is a decent PostScript Processor
and a RJ45 Ethernet connector, then it will work with OpenBSD
no matter what.

Yours,
  Ingo