Harry Putnam wrote:
I haven't seen any section of FAQ devoted to setting up X.  Is it
supposed to just work after installing the base tgz files?

it would be nice. But they have not reached that goal yet, at least on some very popular platforms.

Or maybe I'm just blindly overlooking the section?

The part about building X doesn't have anything to say about setting
it up.  Is it covered somewhere else?

see
   /usr/X11R6/README
on your installed system for some tips on getting X up and running.

Yes, the FAQ is sadly deficient on setting up and using X at the moment. Hopefully, that will be changing in the future.

Nick.