On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:21:00PM -0500, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

> Hi Misc,
>
> Has anybody else noticed a new race condition causing Unbound to fail
> due to the fact that OpenVPN interface is not available.
>
> Since a few releases ago I have this in my rc.conf.local to start
> openvpn server and unbound
>
> openvpn_flags=--config /etc/openvpn/server.conf
> pkg_scripts=sshguard collectd smartd openvpn
> sensorsd_flags=
> snmpd_flags=
> syslogd_flags="-h"
> unbound_flags=
>
> Previously I was starting OpenVPN server via
> /etc/hostname.tun0
>
> file
>
> up link0
> !/usr/local/sbin/openvpn --daemon --config /etc/openvpn/server.conf

You don't need 'link0' anymore these days.

> I noticed this morning after upgrading 2 of my OpenVPN servers that
> unbound is failing to start because tun0 is not available on time. If I
> works as expected.

Leaving the creation of the tun0 interface up to OpenVPN is never going to
work 100% of the time if other programs also depend on tun0 being present.

Have you considered following "Using an /etc/hostname.* file with persist-tun"
in /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/openvpn? And with that you could probably
also apply the config tweaks under "Running OpenVPN in chroot".