On 2020-11-22 06:04, Leo Unglaub wrote:
> Hi,
> i upgraded my desktop to the latest 6.8 release. I uses sysupgrade to do
> the upgrade and everything worked fine. But now i noticed in my dmesg
> the following error messages:
>
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 475440376
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 475440376
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 473833936
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 473833936
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 473833936
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 473833936
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 473833936
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 473833936
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 473833936
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 473833936
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 473833936
>> softraid0: sd6: i/o error 5 @ CRYPTO block 477298832

sure sounds to me like your disk has issues.  Doesn't look related
to the upgrade process.

> This only happens when i want to read certain files in /home. I checked
> with fsck but it reports the partition to be fine. Has this something
> todo with the upgrade? I did not find anything in the changelog.

sounds even more like your disk isn't good.

fsck checks file *system* integrity.  It does NOT check every sector
on the disk for suitability to store data.  The percentage of the
disk that fsck reads in the process of doing its job is very small.

If you want to test your backing disk, I'd do a:
    # dd if=/dev/rsdXc of=/dev/null bs=1m
where "X" is your physical disk.  If you want to see it's progress
while running:
    # pkill -info dd
will tell you how much has been read so far.

IF that comes up bad, you MAY be able to "fix" your problem by
deleting the files that are bad, then write a very large file to
the entire partition where those damaged files were -- the disk
will typically read-after-write verify that the data landed on the
disk properly, and if it finds a bad spot, it will lock it out and
put the failed write on a good spot (after you fill the disk,
delete the "filler" file, of course).  But be aware, your disk may
not not healthy -- yes, bad spots and reallocated space is a normal
thing for disks, but new bad spots, not so much.

Nick.