Hello Heinrich,
as another hack you can setup virtual switches (separate ones for any given
link between two VMs  )

eg vm1--vswitch2---vm2---vswitch3--vm4
so if you have promiscuous enabled and you only have two vms attached to
the vswitch is not so bad...
but if you have 100x vms on a port with 100mb/s of traffic then you  can
generate a lot of traffic copies to other vms...

so what you can do is run  a virtual switch per vlan and then attach
individual vms to  a dedicated vswitch per vlan (kind of like private
vlans)  it sucks wbut will work...  a
and then they can be isolated on layer 2...

and then have the switch port configured as a tagged port facing the
physical port on the server...
 and  have an OpenBSD Box as a default gateway with a separate ip on each
vlan...

that way you can avoid nat nastiness on vmware...and have decent layer2 /
Layer3 separation controlled by OpenBSD

All the Best
Tom Smyth

--