On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:30:56AM +0100, Anders Damsgaard wrote:
> * Stefan Hagen <sh+open...@codevoid.de> [2020-12-10 10:14:35 +0100]:
>
> > Bodie wrote:

> > > That part on SST remind me my problem with audio on T590 under Windows.
> > > For at least two patch builds Windows had issue to picking up wrong
> > > driver for audio. Instead of regular HD Audio they were setting
> > > up SST HD Audio and then output/input were not working.
> > >
> > > So maybe it is something wrong inside that HW like reporting wrong
> > > capabilities?
> >
> > Not unlikely as "microphone not working on x1 carbon gen 7" complaints
> > are all over the place. The solution for ms windows is upgrade + use
> > newest drivers. So yes, I assume there's something off that has been
> > fixed in software.
> >
> > I've seen similar complaints about Dell Laptops that are also using
> > the Realtek ALC285 chip.
> >
> > If it's just this one chip, then fine, let's ignore it.
> >
> > Can someone with a X1 Carbon Gen 8 report it working?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Stefan
> >

> The same issue persists on 8th generation, also reported to dmesg@.
>
> azalia0 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 "Intel 400 Series HD Audio" rev 0x00: msi
> azalia0: codecs: Realtek ALC285, Intel/0x280b, using Realtek ALC285
> audio0 at azalia0
>
> Also, the mic is enabled in BIOS and kern.audio.record=1.

AFAIU, all audio components but the internal microphone are connected
to the "Realtek ALC285" codec which is handled by azalia(4). The
internal microphone uses the Intel Smart Sound Technology, which needs
a dedicated driver.

Linux has a driver written by Intel employees, which is around twice
as big as azalia. It's unclear how difficult it would be to write a
openbsd-ish driver that simply makes the hardware work. Sorry.

Meanwhile, if this is for voice calls, I'd suggest either using a
phone headset (the x1 probably has a trrs jack) or a comfortable
full-duplex usb headset; most work way better than the internal
mics/speakers.