On 12/7/20 10:14 PM, Noth wrote:

On 07/12/2020 05:41, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:
Hello again,

I was playing around with ksh array syntax and its behaviour when set as read-only. In my testing I noticed that ksh will allow you to overwrite the first element of a read-only array. Example snippet:

#!/bin/ksh
arr[0]=val1
arr[1]=val2
readonly arr
echo "${arr[@]}"
arr=yikes
echo "${arr[@]}"

I tested a few other shells, and this bug does exists in the original pdksh and is also present in zsh. This bug is not present in ksh93, mksh or bash, where they abort when trying to modify the read-only array.

I don't have access to a proper ksh88 shell, but it would be nice if someone could confirm its behaviour.

I was just hoping someone could confirm if this is intended behaviour, or if it's a bug.

Regards,

Jordan

Hi,

  I tries this with AMIX (UNIX SVR4 for Commodore Amiga) v2.1 which presumably is using ksh88 as it hasn't been updated since circa 1992 and it does abort at the same place. Screenshot here: http://casper.nineinchnetworks.ch/images/kshtest.png .

Cheers,

Noth

Hi Noth,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been AFK for several days.

Thanks for testing that out and confirming ksh88's behaviour!

Regards,

Jordan