Rod> As a result spammers target secondaries strongly in preference to
Rod> primaries. As a project I listed a secondary for a server I support
Rod> using an alias on the same machine. All of the mail sent to the
Rod> secondary address (unless I missed one or two) was spam. Only about 60%
Rod> directed to the primary was spam.

$ host -t mx stonehenge.com
stonehenge.com mail is handled by 666 spamtrap.stonehenge.com.
stonehenge.com mail is handled by 5 blue.stonehenge.com.

Any mail delivered to spamtrap gets the following response:

  450 Violation of RFC2821 Section 5 Paragraph 8 correlates highly with
spamming and is therefore rejected.

And yes, that's the paragraph that says "deliver to lowest MX first".

I'm skipping about *half* of the incoming spam just with this one trick.  For
more details, find the PDF I wrote titled "you had me at HELO" via google.