On 1/18/21 2:47 PM, Eric Zylstra wrote:
> Misc,
>
> I’ve set up a 6 drive RAID-5.  Just for the experience of degrading and
> rebuilding the RAID, I popped a drive out.  Within a few seconds the machine
> kerneled and dropped into ddb.  Is there any chance this would be expected
> considering the machine’s SATA is not hot-swappable?
>
> I’m looking into setting up a serial connection so I can capture the debut
> output (I already have photos of the traces for all 8 CPU, but would like to
> give serial output instead).  I would not file a report if this behavior
> falls into “not great, but expected”.
>
> Thanks,
>
> EZ

Just thought I'd chip in here too FWIW:

I've never successfully hot swapped a drive with OpenBSD before. I have
hardware that does it fine on Linux, but fails on OpenBSD. I haven't caused the
kernel to panic when pulling a drive, but the OS fails to detect any newly
attached SATA or SAS drives. It's certainly caused some frustration when trying
to rebuild a RAID array on a production machine. Maybe I just have wonky
hardware, but I've tried this on a number of releases, on several different
pieces of hardware, on several different arches. I have no solution to offer,
just thought I'd share my experience with hot swapping drives on OpenBSD.

Regards,

Jordan