As per this discussion I am trying to set up the bootloader on an external USB stick to boot my FDE-encrypted disk:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=158196161321272&w=2

When booting from the USB stick (which contains a full install), I follow the softraid.4 man page example and do:
boot> boot sr0a:/bsd

When booting, the boot stops immediately after "scsibus4 at softraid0: 256 targets" with the error message "panic: root device (..) not found"

If I boot from the standard bootloader on the FDE encrypted disk itself, everything boots fine.

Has something changed since the earlier discussion, is it no longer possible to use a USB stick to boot an encrypted partition?