On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 02:23:08PM +0100, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Hi Stuart and others,,
>

> Stuart Henderson wrote:
> >
> > > I installed the firmware with fw_update. I try to bring the interface
> > > up, I can set the nwid, but it never connects.
> > What do you type to bring the interface up?
> > If you are using /etc/hostname.ipw0 and "sh /etc/netstart ipw0", what
> > are the contents of the file?
>
> I am typing "ifconfig ipw0 up" as root (or sudo) and then directly starting
> the interface with dhclient.
>
> > > I set the WEP password and it does not get saved if I check back with
> > > ifconfig.
> > WEP password definitely won't get displayed back if you check as non-root.
> > I don't recall if it is displayed for root or not.
>
> It is not - I was confused with another BSD which does, as root, display
> back the used key.
>
> > What does "ifconfig ipw0" say?
> >
> > Is there an "RF kill" (wifi on/off) switch on the laptop, if so did you
> > try toggling it?
>
> Actually, that was the solution. The laptop has both a "soft" button with
> Fn-F8 and a HW toggle, I forgot about the latter. I am not accustomed to
> having "both". (Add to that that it is invisible gray and acts the opposite,
> sliding right "kills" and not "activates" but the icon hints to right with
> an antenna not a off-antenna)
>
> I am used that on other laptops, the toggle issues a send connect/disconnect
> of the device, here it seems that the device is up but with no antenna.
>
> > If I try to scan, nothing is shown, I get no errors on the console/dmesg.
> >
> > I tried enabling debug and I see:
> >
> > ifconfig debug ipw0 list
> > ifconfig: SIOCDIFADDR: Device not configured
> > Syntax for that is "ifconfig ipw0 debug", if you get any messages they'll
> > appear in dmesg and/or /var/log/messages
>

> Thanks for the pinpoint. Now with the correct settings I finally see the LED
> on. The interface comes up and finally says "active" when it attaches to the
> correct SSID. A scan shows all network, so I believe the radio is fine.
>
> dhclient however fails to get an address. It waits a few instants and then
> prints "no link".
>
> That is very strange, if with ifconfig I got the interface to active and
> thus connected. Am I overseeing again something obvious?
>
> Riccardi

Sounds like a wrong key, or the wrong type of crypto.
Are you the AP is using WEP? Perhaps you need 'wpakey' instead of 'nwkey'?

If you want more help, please show commands you are typing and their output.
It is much easier to provide help when we can see what you are seeing,
instead of trying to guess what happened based on your verbal description.