Hi,

Minecraft Java Edition can be easily installed on OpenBSD using the games/minecraft port (see e.g. https://openports.se/games/minecraft). Before I buy the game, which at 17.95 GBP is reasonably priced IMHO, I wanted to ask the OpenBSD community whether anyone has been able to get the Minecraft port to work using a Microsoft account: Since 1 December 2020 one needs a Microsoft account to buy and play Minecraft Java Edition.

I have attempted to start the games/minecraft port in demo mode using the instructions posted at https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Demo_mode: Supposedly passing the --demo argument to minecraft.jar should launch the demo. Assuming these instructions are correct, I have not been able to log in to Minecraft using my Microsoft account despite registering the account for a free trial.

Would anyone know the magic trick to play Minecraft Java Edition on OpenBSD using a Microsoft account?

Cheers,

Mark