On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 08:56:59PM +0200, Ulf Brosziewski wrote:
Unfortunately, that "trick" is no general solution because turning the
"ClickPad" option off makes click-and-drag operations with two fingers
impossible.  If you don't use that "gesture", or perform it with one
finger only, the setup might work for you.

I think the issue won't be fixed, for various reasons:  synaptics(4) is
legacy, there is no active development.  It cannot handle that setup
coherently because a reasonable treatment of the "ClickFinger" method
requires full multitouch data.  Only a subset of our hardware drivers
provide MT support, and even if these data are available, they aren't
passed to userland drivers in OpenBSD.  Only wsmouse(4) makes use of
them, but it doesn't offer that "click method" for touchpads - hardly
anyone has asked for it.

I see. So how do people deal with newer generation touchpads that don't have buttons?