Tom Smyth:

> just installing todays snapshot and the default offset on amd64 is 64,
>  (as it has been for as long as I can remember)

It was changed from 63 in 2010.

> Is it worth while updating the defaults so that OpenBSD partition
> layout will be optimal for SSD or other Virtualized RAID environments
> with 1MB  Chunks,

What are you trying to optimize with this?  FFS2 file systems reserve
64 kB at the start of a partition, and after that it's filesystem
blocks, which are 16/32/64 kB, depending on the size of the filesystem.
I can barely see an argument for aligning large partitions at 128
sectors, but what purpose would larger multiples serve?

> Is there a down side  to moving the default offset to 2048 ?

Not really.  It wastes a bit of space, but that is rather insignificant
for today's disk sizes.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de