I have some custom additions to my $PATH. They're defined in ~/.profile and they are correctly loaded when I log in from a text console.

When I log in to X (cwm) and open a terminal window, $PATH does not contain the entries.

I tried `chmod +x` on my .profile but that didn't help.

Both the text console and the X terminal window are using ksh.

When I call `/bin/ksh -l` then the resulting shell contains the correct additions to $PATH.

It looks like the custom $PATH is not being passed from the login shell on downwards, since ~/.profile is only read by a login shell.

~/.kshrc is (according to ksh(1)) read by every spawning shell, but I don't see any documentation or examples on the Internet where someone defined their $PATH in ~/.kshrc ...

What's the correct way to set $PATH and have it stick no matter where and when the shell is spawned?