Hello,

I am trying to install OpenBSD on a Raspberry Pi 4B without the assistance of the serial console. The Pi firmware is set to boot from USB. I have arm64 miniroot69 on a USB and the system boots; I see the "BOOT>" prompt, but my USB keyboard does not appear to be recognised at this point in boot, so I cannot interrupt and set tty to fb0. The boot then proceeds to the serial console (i.e. blank screen).

The thought occurred that it may be possible to change boot.conf in the miniroot69 image to set tty to fb0 but so far my attempts have been unsuccessful. I have tried...

...on my macOS system, I tried many variations of the following without success:

# qemu-system-aarch64 -machine raspi3 -hda /dev/disk2
# qemu-system-aarch64 -machine virt -hda /dev/disk2
# qemu-system-aarch64 -machine raspi3 -drive file=miniroot69.img,format=raw
# qemu-system-aarch64 -machine virt -drive file=/dev/disk2,format=raw

The qemu system just presents a blank screen. Nothing on serial or parallel screens.

...on my OpenBSD server, I tried mounting the miniroot69.img and altering boot.conf directly:

# vnconfig vnd0 miniroot69.img
# mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt

But this just presents:

# ls -1
bsd
bsd.rd

Does anyone have any suggestion of how I might achieve editing boot.conf on the miniroot69 image or otherwise how to boot the Raspberry Pi 4B into fb0?

Much thanks,

--
Paul W. Rankin
https://bydasein.com

The single best thing you can do for the world is delete your social media accounts.