On 5/11/2021 3:41 AM, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
On May 11, 2021 3:42 AM, Robert Klein <rokl...@roklein.de> wrote:

   On Sun, 9 May 2021 07:47:32 -0700
   Scott Vanderbilt <li...@datagenic.com> wrote:

   > On 5/9/2021 4:04 AM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
   > > On 2021-05-08, Scott Vanderbilt <li...@datagenic.com> wrote:
   > >> Apologies if this is a question to which there is an obvious
   > >> answer, but I could not find one in the sysupgrade man page, in
   > >> the FAQ, or by Googling.
   > >>
   > >> Is it not possible to do a sysupgrade from 6.9-current to latest
   > >> using snapshots at the moment? When I try, I get the following
   > >> response from sysupgrade:
   > >
   > > This can only have happened if you were running a "6.9" kernel
   and
   > > not "6.9-current". You might still have the boot messages to
   > > confirm; zgrep OpenBSD /var/log/messages*
   > >

   > I can assure you with absolute certainty that this machine in
   > question was running 6.9-current prior to the attempt to run
   > sysupgrade.

   maybe you had a snapshot claiming to be “release”.  This
   typically
   happened in the past a couple of days around the actual release.  If
   you look at the history of sys/conf/newvers.sh (e.g. at the github
   mirror, if CVS is too much effort for one file) you'll see 6.9 went
   out
   of beta on April, 4 and into current on April 18.  I'd guess
   snapshots
   made during this period all are marked “release”.

This is similar to how pkg_* requires -Dsnap from time to time. I've just
trained myself to always use the flags so as not to let the software have
to decide for me.

Excellent advice. I will make a habit of doing this going forward.

Many thanks.