On 5/16/2021 6:07 PM, Keegan Saunders wrote:
I'm noticing that my OpenBSD desktop with a Realtek 8168 ethernet controller
(re(4) driver) is experiencing slow network speeds on OpenBSD 6.9 (not
recent, has been an issue before)

For example, on OpenBSD, cloning GitHub repos has about <400kb/s download
speeds whereas on Linux it is upwards of 30mb/s (both using SSH).
The issue is the same using wget, curl, etc. on other sites.

Using scp from another machine to this machine over LAN is achieving
about max 6mb/s which is still less than desired.

How can I further debug this issue to figure out what is wrong? Is the
driver having issues/known to have issues?

Thanks,

I've had similar issues with OpenBSD (and MacOS) when connecting to/through a CentOS/RHEL machine with the tcp_tw_recycle sysctl enabled (on CentOS/RHEL). Unfortunately this was enabled by default in CentOS 6.x. If you're going through an old Linux proxy this may impact OpenBSD performance.