>> The Crucial BX500 SSD uses SMR technology, which is best used for
>> infrequent-write applications.
>> For general-purpose, and especially NAS, applications, CMR technology should
>> be used.
>
> hmm, does SMR stand for something other than "shingled magnetic recording"
> related to storage? that only relates to HD not SSD.

You're right.

I was confused because I was recently burned by both SMR-based and MX500-based
issues recently, and hence conflated them after a quick "BX500 SMR" search
seemed to return hits.

I recall now that the MX500 SSDs were really quite amazing, but I couldn't use
them because they don't report ATA TRIM in a way that is understood by the LSI
HBAs I have.

K.