I'm using a dos program via tip(1) on the console that uses extended
characters of the pc-dos font to display a meaningful user interface.

I'm not sure, but I think the extended ascii characters in dos may
have been a strange mix of IBM and DEC characters. For instance, the
following should print shaded blocks:

$ printf "\305\306\307\n"

Can anybody help me display this dos app as the author intended? I
assume it invloves wsfontload, and have experimented with it for a
while. Maybe there just aren't any suitable fonts in base?

In 2001 mickey added listing support to wsfontload with the commit
message "allow listing and soon deleting fonts; aaron@ ok", but
deleting fonts never came about. Benjamin Lewis made a 'font deletion
patch' over a year ago:

http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/tech/0402/msg00223.html

This would have been very useful to have today. Trial and error with
wsfontload requires several reboots.