On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 11:49 PM podolica <podol...@protonmail.com> wrote:

> On my OpenBSD installation (6.9) one of the log files created by login(1)
> seems to be a binary file:
>     $ less /var/log/failedlogin
>     "failedlogin" may be a binary file. See it anyway?

> What can I learn from this logfile?
> A lot of repeating null bytes and "ttyC2" and "ttyC3" does not seems
> to be very informative.
>
> Is this an error?

No, it's not an error.  That file is specific to the 'login' command,
specifically the source file /usr/src/usr.bin/login/failedlogin.c and
consists of an array of the 'badlogin' structure specified there.  If you
want to dump its contents in a more readable format then you should write a
small program to do so in C or some other language which can easily handle
binary files.

Philip Guenther