On Sat, Aug 07, 2021 at 01:15:52PM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
Am I running into system memory limits ("minimum 8GB RAM to surf the
web"? what is the world coming to?) or is another issue likely the
cause?

I wouldn't rule that possibility out… I manage with Firefox on Linux
with a 2GB netbook, but only just: some websites just eat RAM like it's
going out of fashion.  Playing videos definitely makes the problem
worse.  Comparatively "simple" websites work okay but anything that's
real-time: all bets are off!

I haven't tried OpenBSD on the same machine, but I suspect the problem
isn't limited to browser or OS.  Your mileage will definitely depend on
the sort of website you frequently like to visit.

OpenBSD doesn't do brilliantly with swapping.

Thanks. That's all rather depressing...