On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 08:25:24PM +0200, u...@mailo.com wrote:
> Tried to install amd64 "install70.img" from a microSD on an old PC:
> CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4200+
> Motherboard: Asus M2N-E
> Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 570 SLI, AMD Hammer
> USB1 controller: nVIDIA nForce 570 SLI (MCP55P) - OHCI USB 1.1 Controller
> USB2 controller: nVIDIA nForce 570 SLI (MCP55P) - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
>
> The "install70.img" was checked with both `sha256sum` and `signify-openbsd`
> (a Debian package).
> BTW, do I need `sha256sum` or does `signify` check the SHA sums as well?

If you used something like:

signify -C -p openbsd-70-base.pub -x SHA256.sig install70.img

then signify would have checked the signature on the SHA256.sig file, and if
and only if it's valid, then proceeded to check the checksums of the files
listed in it.

> At the very beginning of the boot, I get:

> ERR M

The semi-colon indicated that the device is being read with CHS reads rather
than LBA.

I'm guessing that your BIOS is enumerating the flash drive as a floppy disk
device rather than a hard disk.  You might be able to change this behaviour in
the BIOS.

The ERR M suggests that the wrong blocks were read from the device, as you have
tried a different card and reader with the same results, I'm assuming that it's
not a bad card, or badly written image.