On 2021-11-17, Radek <r...@int.pl> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 11:22:42 +0100
> Denis Fondras <open...@ledeuns.net> wrote:
>
>> Le Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 05:03:42AM +0100, Radek a écrit :
>> >
>> > How can I restore the vendor's MAC address?
>> > It is 6.8/amd64.
>> >

>> Check dmesg, it will give you the original MAC address, then ifconfig
>> lladdr...
>>

> Hello Denis,
> dmesg shows my new_MAC.
> I know the value of my original MAC address but I used to think that removing
> lladdr value from /etc/hostname.if and then reboot restores the original MAC.
> I doesn't.

How about a power-cycle (rather than just a reboot)?

> Is there any way to "force" OS to restore original MAC address by reading it
> from hardware/NIC instead of ifconfig lladdr ...?

That's what it normally does.

If it's somehow stuck on the new one and a power-cycle doesn't clear it then
presumably using lladdr to reset it to the original will stick (look in old
boot messages in /var/log/messages.*.gz, dhcp server logs, maybe printed
on the motherboard, etc)