On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 4:56 AM Nick Holland <n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
> And yeah, he really wants you to UNDERSTAND what you are doing.
> Total jerk, I know.

I got confused by the MAKEDEV, thinking I have to create a required disk.
In fact, using one of the disks in hw.disknames worked as expected.

> The obvious errors you have are you are trying to use devices you don't
> actually have on your machine, even though you have a dev file by a
> suggestive name.  My machine here has /dev entries for sd0 to sd9, and
> wd0 to wd3, and there are no wd devices and only three sd devices.

Clear, I thought that /dev/ (in install kernel) was populated by
effective hardware, but reading your explaination is now clearer to me
what is happening.

> I'm a little suspicious of that sd0 in your /dev directory -- was it
> there all along, or did it just pop up when you dd'd to /dev/rsd0c and

It was already there, and I'm installing amd64 iso image on a virtual
machine with only one IDE controller (thus wd).
I've also created a virtual machine without any IDE/SATA disk, and
entering the shell there's a /dev/rsd0c and all other partitions.

Thanks,
Luca