Stefan Drexleri wrote:
Hi,

from the faq: "Upon reboot, savecore(8)will attempt to save the
contents of the swap partition to a file in /var/crash"

savecore would be called by /etc/rc.
So which criterias must be fulfilled to make core dump upon reboot?
Does savecore look for special file names at special places? Who makes
the rule?

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, the subject and the body of your message don't seem to be completely related.

However, I think you may find the answers to your questions in
  man 8 crash

Third paragraph (more or less, depending what one counts) tells what conditions cause the in-RAM image to be written to disk in the swap partition. If that happens, an attempt will be made to dump it to physical disk upon reboot.

Note that on a modern system, /var is very often not large enough to hold a core dump. If this is something you care about, you will need to deal with it accordingly. (aren't we all glad that attachments are stripped from misc@ postings now? "Hi, here's my 2G core dump. why did it happen?")

Nick.