On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 10:09:25PM +0100, Konrad Sowula wrote:

> to keep things short, rebooting my vps using 'Server restart' in vultr
> control panel trashed my /usr/local directory

The VULTR "Restart Server" option explicitly says

 "Are you sure you want to restart your server?
  This is a hard restart."

So it's like pulling the power cable from a server.  It doesn't issue a
reboot command that safely shuts down the VM and then restarts.

> If anyone has at least a hint of what happened and could guide me
> towards a correct way of handling situations like these in the future
> I would be much obliged.

Next time, run "reboot" from the command line if you want to reboot.

Like others said, fsck_ffs didn't cause the trouble, it just tried to
help you fix it.

If this was my server I would click "View Console" from the VULTR
dashboard.  If the machine is sitting at a fsck prompt, I would do what
it suggests.  Otherwise if the machine has booted and /usr/local isn't
mounted, then run fsck_ffs on its partition.

It's hard to tell what state your VM is in.  It may be necessary to
create a new VM and rsync your files to the new VM.

Nicolai