If I unplug and reinsert the usb drive, after about a minute, I get an
asynchronous blue background bit of text:

uhub0: port 2, set config 0 at addr 6 failed
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 2

There's a second usb socket on the other side of the machine. If I
transfer the drive over to that side, the eventual message is,
instead:

uhub: port 5, set config 0 at addr 6 failed
uhub: device problem, disabling port 5

I guess my next step is to try finding some different kind of usb
media to install from, to see if that changes anything.

Thanks,

--
Raul