W dniu 23.03.2022 o 15:10, Zé Loff pisze:

Hi all

I have a laptop in which I use ifstated to determine whether it is "at
home" or whether it is "roaming", and bring up the VPN -- used to be
iked, now its wg -- for unwind and some NFS shares, if it is.

My question is: how would you detect if the machine it's "at home"?

My present setup is a combination of checking the BSSID of the AP if it
is connected to one, and some MAC addresses of other machines on the
network.  I can think of a couple other ways (SSH host keys, external IP
-- though it might change --, DHCP-assigned domain, etc).  Is there an
easier way I'm not thinking of?  How would you do it?

Note that this doesn't have 100% fail proof nor am I worried about
covering absolutely all corner cases, or paranoid about someone spoofing
my network's BSSID, MAC addresses, etc, etc, just to prevent me from
setting up a VPN.  This is just for convenience.

Cheers and TIA
Zé

Hi,

I'd just check both SSID and BSSID and call it good enough, to be honest.

In this case, if I understand correctly, to spoof it, somebody would have to know your wifi password, otherwise your laptop wouldn't connect to it.

Regards,
--
Łukasz Moskała