On 4/4/22 11:32 AM, Eric Thomas wrote:
I want to have a high degree of confidence in my system's state
(packages that have been added, configs that have changed, permissions
changed, etc). I've read about "read only filesystems" and the
pro's/con's [here](http://geodsoft.com/howto/harden/OpenBSD/no_changes.htm).

Aside from that, is there a way to...

1. ...hash the file system in some way and monitor for changes? OR
2. ...somehow review changes that have taken place (a log somewhere)?

The goal is to concretely know whether the state of the system has
changed, then point to what EXACTLY has changed.

Anyone doing something similar?

Thank you

Something I came up with which worked out really well at my employer was
a backup system that used rsync and the --link-dest option to make a useful
rotated disk-based backup of current systems.  When they said, "We want some
kind of file integrity monitoring system", I puzzled over all kinds of ways
to look for altered files...but it suddenly hit me -- I HAD a list of all the
altered files -- the output of the rsync --link-dest backup run!

Took that output, ran it through a "grep -vf exclusionlist", where
"exclusionlist" was a list of files (in regex form) I EXPECTED change on...and
I had a daily output of all unexpected changed files.  I called it the
"File Alteration Reporting Tool", but my coworkers thought another name would
be more appropriate for some reason. :D

It was really quite interesting.  Never found a real security breach (yay),
but learned a LOT of new things about the software running on our systems,
and to the point -- we found a few things that prompted us to go kicking trees
to find out what someone had done that we weren't aware of.  I call that
success.

Yes, I'm working on re-doing it (i.e., clean slate so my (former)employer has
no gripes (and no internal information disclosure), but if you are adept at
scripting, it wasn't too difficult.

Nick.