On 2022-04-04, Nicolas Goy <m...@kuon.ch> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to make some 10gbit/s benchmarks for an OpenBSD based router.
>
> I was wondering if there was some "standard" pf ruleset I could use to
> have a meaningful metric.

It might be useful to have PF disabled, and PF enabled with a simple
"pass" rule. More than that and it's likely to be more dependent on the
actual traffic and ruleset so probably not so useful unless you are trying
to hand optimize the ruleset to squeeze as much performance as possible
out of a system.

Make sure you do measure routing performance (packet source and sink on
different machines) and not local stack performance (tcpbench/iperf/whatever
on the machine itself).

If you publish them somewhere please do include dmesg and description of
the test setup.

> Also, I'm curious if anymody is aware of such existing benchmarks.

http://bluhm.genua.de/perform/results/perform.html (repeated tests over
time showing some effects of changes in the kernel; the FORWARD and FORWARD6
graphs are probably what you're interested in here)

https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article;sid=20220319123157 (pps tests with
a diff that is not yet committed)

https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160302155046 (older but some
suggestions of software that can be useful for testing)