> Am 07.04.22 21:04 schrieb latin...@vcn.bc.ca:
>> Hello
>>
>> i have had 1 Personal server for years with httpd and OpenSMTPD  mail
>> server working correctly; thanks OpenBSD Team.
>>
>> But now i have another server for 500 Colleagues with OSMTPD + Dovecot +
>> Dkimsign working well; but i ask, if it were possible to use only OSMTPD
>> with virtual users + Dkimsign?
>>
>> Please tell me what i might read.
>
> I don't know exactly what you want to do.
> I think you ask if you can replace dovecot with smptd
>
> The answer is: smptd is MTA (=Mail Transport Agent)
> while dovecot is MDA (=Mail Delivery Agent), dovecot-lda
>
> Also:
> If you want your users accessing your mailserver via IMAP then you need
> an imap server and that's what dovecot is.
>
> They have different purposes but if you don't need any of dovecot's
> functions here then you can remove it. It's not required to send and
> receive emails.

Thanks to answer:

Yes, i understand the difference between MTA and MDA. But i remember
Sendmail, at that moment it was as base system; receiving similar
attention as the rest of the system.

Dovecot is not cover, it is not part of the base system; and i personally
have had really bad experience with software that is not considered as
part of the base system. As result, i use only base system! If it is
possible.

In this case, i supossed that using a virtual-users file could work.

Thanks for your time Michael Hekeler