On 2022-04-13, misc.99...@aleeas.com <misc.99...@aleeas.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to boot OpenBSD 7.0 i386 image (sha256:
> 2423307414df1800537063b3cafd9ae788b46711074b7f94d855c8a3de622f51) from a USB
> flash drive on HP Mini, Intel Atom N2600 1.60 GHz machine. Before I could
> install, unfortunately I'm facing a kernel panic. It shows on screen:
>
> cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
> cpu0: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2600 @ 1.60 GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 1.60
> GHz, 06-36-01
> cpu0:
> FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,EST,TM2,SSSE3,xTPR,PDCM,MOVBE,NXE,LAHF,PERF,ITSC,SENSOR,ARAT,MELTDOWN
> cpu0: apic clock running at 99MHz
> cpu0: mwait min=64 max=64. C-substates=0.2.2.0.2.0.3, IBE
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> cpu at mainbus0: not configured
> ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 4 pa 0xfec00000, version 20, 24 pins, remapped
> acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
> acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 3 (PCI1)
> acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 1 (RP01)
> acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 2 (RP02)
> acpiec0 at acpi0
> Could not convert 1 to 0
>
> panic: aml_die aml_convert:2095
>
> The operating system has halted.
> Please press any key to reboot.
>
> Almost any key or key combination I press gets the machine to reboot.

This is expected from the install kernel, it doesn't have DDB.

> It runs Windows 7 and Debian just fine. In fact I rebooted on to the media
> from a Debian install which is running without any hardware complaints. But
> OpenBSD seems to have this issue.

OpenBSD has its own written-from-scratch ACPI implementation and can
sometimes run into problems interpreting machine ACPI tables that are
already handled by other implementations.

What's needed is a dump of the ACPI tables, which you could get from
another OS, but it would be helpful to try and get it booted into
OpenBSD as this could give more information.

Try boot -c at the boot loader prompt and disabling individual acpi
device drivers and see if you can get it booted like that. The i386
install kernel has these:

$ grep ^acpi RAMDISK_CD
acpi0           at bios?
acpihpet*       at acpi?
acpicmos*       at acpi?
acpiec*         at acpi?
acpimadt0       at acpi?
acpiprt*        at acpi?

So after "boot -c", I would first try "disable acpiec" and "quit" and
see if that boots. If not then try disabling others (acpiprt is probably
ok as you would likely have seen the error earlier).

If none work you can try "disable acpi" but information about *which*
driver hit the problem is likely to be helpful.

If you can get it installed then try to get it booted - you'll need
to disable the driver again to boot the standard kernel, and as this
has additional acpi drivers, potentially you may need to disable some
others - here's the list in case you do run into it:

$ grep ^acpi GENERIC
acpi0   at bios?
acpitimer*      at acpi?
acpihpet*       at acpi?
acpiac*         at acpi?
acpibat*        at acpi?
acpibtn*        at acpi?
acpicpu*        at acpi?
acpicmos*       at acpi?
acpidock*       at acpi?
acpiec*         at acpi?
acpimadt0       at acpi?
acpimcfg*       at acpi?
acpiprt*        at acpi?
acpisbs*        at acpi?
acpitz*         at acpi?
acpiasus*       at acpi?
acpisony*       at acpi?
acpithinkpad*   at acpi?
acpitoshiba*    at acpi?
acpivideo*      at acpi?
acpivout*       at acpivideo?
acpipwrres*     at acpi?

If you can get it booted then run sendbug to generate a report (usually
easiest as "sendbug -P > somefile" and move it to a machine which
already has email configured; scp or copy via USB storage etc).
Send that in to b...@openbsd.org along with details of which driver/s
you disabled, and the kernel output you included in your mail above.

(Note: acpi drivers are used for various machine functions including
in some cases temperature control, so it's not advisable to run with
them disabled long term, but should be fine for a short test - the
N2600 is low power too which helps).