On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Mike Loiterman wrote:

> I'm following the instructions at http://openbsd.org/stable/html to upgrade
> to 3.8-stable.
>
> Everything works as it is supposed to until I get to the part where I am
> supposed to copy the newly compiled kernel into /.  I execute the command
> and get this error:
>
> # cp bsd /bsd
>  cp: /bsd: Operation not permitted
>
> I got around this by setting /etc/rc.securelevel to 0, rebooting, and then
> executing the commands:
>
> # chflags noschg /bsd
> # cp /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC/bsd /bsd
> # chflags schg /bsd
>
> Then changing /etc/rc.securelevel back to 1 and rebooting.

Setting flags on /bsd is not part of the standard install. If you have
done so, you should be able to fix it yourself.

> Now uname -a is reported as:
> OpenBSD host.hostname.net 3.8 GENERIC#0 i386
>
> So it appears that the kernel upgrade was successful...I hope.

Check dmesg for more details. The first few lines contain the details
your're looking for.

> Now I'm tryig to upgrade the binaries by executing the following commands:
>
> # cd /usr/src/
> # rm -r /usr/obj/*
> # make obj && make build
>
> It starts to compile but then gives me this error:
>
>  ===> lib/libpthread
>  "Makefile", line 29: Could not find
> /usr/src/lib/libpthread/include/Makefile.inc
>  Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop in /usr/src/lib.
>  *** Error code 1
>
>  Stop in /usr/src.
>
> I'm not sure why it's missing that file as I performed a cvs checkout just
> last night using this command:
>
> # cd /usr; cvs checkout -P -rOPENBSD_3_8 src
>
> I just did:
>
> # cd /usr/src; rm -rf *
> # cd /usr; cvs checkout -P -rOPENBSD_3_8 src

Some mirrors seem to be borked; try again in a few hours.

> So, my questions are these:
>
> 1.  Was this an appropriate way of doing the kernel upgrade?
> 2.  How do I correctly clean up from the failed binary build?  Is this ok:
> # cd /usr/obj/; rm -r *

Yes.

> 3.  How do I fix the error so it compiles correctly...assuming that the file
> shows up from the second cvs checkout

just do "make obj" and "make build"

> 4.  Once it compiles correctly, how do I install the binaries?  The upgade
> page does not include this information.

Make build installs the binaries..

        -Otto