On 2022-04-15, alejan...@rogue-research.com <alejan...@rogue-research.com>
wrote:
> Hi Mr Hansteen,
>
> Thanks for the reply, I started my journey with OpenBSD this week and I
> decided to buy your book to help me understand its PF system, it's been
> very helpful. I've been reading man pages from pf,spamd,opensmtpd and
> sysctl, perhaps I just need more reading and time to fully understand
> what is wrong with my setup.
>
> Since I am using 2 hosts (1 antispamer, 1 smtp server) on the same LAN,
> I thought `rdr-to` would not work as stated on:
><https://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/rdr.html>, under the section
> "Redirection and Reflection" which is why I used `divert-to`. But
> neither work, thus, I am left with no ideas as of how to forward the
> emails from the antispam machine to the email server.
>
> What's different from all the docs and examples I've found is that I'm
> trying to use two hosts, and everything I've seen seems to assume spamd
> and the smtp server are on the same host. If `rdr-to` is not the way to
> go, how must I overcome this challenge?

spamd expects to either be on the same host as the real SMTP service,
or on a router/firewall in front of that host. the only way to do proxy
like this on a host in a subnet alongside the smtp server (with another
firewall "in front") is to rdr *and* nat. but for obvious reasons you
really want the SMTP service to see the original source IP so nat isn't
much help...