the installer creates partition layouts for a variety of _regular_ usage
patterns.

Both of these situations you describe are not the normal pattern.

We don't want to over-allocate space to specific purposes like that.

Other systems do one giant root partition and then avoid these space
issues.  There are downsides with the policy of creating seperate
partitions like we do, so that we can vary mountpoint flat options.
We kind of shrug and cope with it.