On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 02:37:39PM -0500, Christopher Turkel wrote:
> I'm on OpenBSD AMD64 7.1, fresh install
> I noticed when adding fonts via pkg_add it no longer prints out "You may
> wish to...." after installation is finished.

It's related to the evolution of X windows.

Quite a few years ago, fonts were mostly handled server-side.

Keith Packard started a large change in X fonts a few years ago.

Most modern applications deal with X fonts client side.

The rationale behind the change is that people who deal with
server-side font info will know about the way to change the
server path.

Most new font directories are related to new applications, so
those messages were irrelevant.

Side note: there's a big focus from some people in OpenBSD
to keeping tools mostly silent (as opposed to the awfully
chatty linux thingies).  Sometimes, this has disproportionate
consequences. End users do see those messages, whereas there's
a HUGE amount of churn in the tools that DON'T end in any visible
messages and has FAR MORE REACHING consequences to the quality
of those tools. ;)