On Thu, May 05, 2022 at 10:59:45AM +0200, Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question how OpenBSD ftp and session resumption works and can be
> enabled or used using the option -S session=somepath .
>
> If I remember correctly this option was added at the time to improve the
> performance of TLS handshakes for fetching OpenBSD packages from HTTPS
> mirrors.
> I'd also like to test if this makes a difference for my use-case.
>
> Is this option currently enabled and working? I haven't been able to see
> session resumption being used when testing uses OpenBSD ftp.

Yes, it works, but only with TLSv1.2. For TLSv1.3 this needs support for
PSK, which is not currently implemented.

$ ftp -M -S"session=mysession.pem,protocols=tlsv1.2"
https://www.openbsd.org/index.html
Trying 199.185.178.80...
Requesting https://www.openbsd.org/index.html
3494 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (9.06 MB/s)
tls session resumed: no
$ ftp -M -S"session=mysession.pem,protocols=tlsv1.2"
https://www.openbsd.org/index.html
Trying 199.185.178.80...
Requesting https://www.openbsd.org/index.html
3494 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (8.88 MB/s)
tls session resumed: yes