On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 09:19:18PM +0100, Chris Narkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia Mon, May 30, 2022 at 10:09:19AM +0200, Stefan Sperling napisaƂ(a):
> > A likely reason is that this device is mis-detected and we are loading
> > the wrong firmware image.
> > Please boot Linux with iwlwifi and check which fw image gets loaded there.
> > And the output of pcidump -vv on OpenBSD would help, too.
>
> So, it looks like it's AC 9461 chip. It seems to be supported by FreeBSD:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=iwm&sektion=4&manpath=freebsd-release-ports
>
> But OpenBSD does not have it on the list of supported hardware:
>
> https://man.openbsd.org/iwm

9461 is just a 9560 with different branding displayed by the Linux
driver. The firmware being loaded is the same, and the device
should work the same way from the driver's perspective.
This looks fine to me, we are already using the right firmware image.

Looking for firmware SYSASSERT 0x000019A8 I came across this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1201470/
Which is a different issue but suggests that the error condition
you hit in firmware is related to channel configuration.
And it seems that your device is failing right after the driver
sends a "link quality" command (0x4e) which includes channel width
setup information for 11n and 11ac modes.

My next questions would be:

Do you see this problem with every access point, or just a specific one?

Do see the problem while forcing 11n/11ac off? To do this you could try
forcing the driver into 11a mode, for example: ifconfig iwm0 mode 11a
If that makes it work we could try to narrow it down from there.