Hello misc@

I installed 7.1-release to an edgerouter-lite-3 (mips64, octeon). In
the errata, I saw there was a security fix
https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/7.1/common/005_pppoe.patch.sig
which was especially pertinent as this is a router. So, cvs-uped to
7.1-stable and built the kernel from those sources as mips64 isn't
supported with syspatch. It installed fine, boots up fine. The problem
is that I can't get pppoe to work.

Before seeing if it's an issue with pppoe, what I'd like to know is,
should I have also rebuilt the userland? The reason I didn't in the
first place is that the pppoe patch mentions rebuilding/installing the
kernel only, and building the userland will take an age on this hardware.

Was just building and installing a new kernel incorrect, in this context?

thanks in advance for any clarification