Heho,
> BTW rpki-client is one of the (relatively few) cases where softdep is likely
> to give a significant improvement in performance.
I took this as motivation to do some benchmarks (defaults, noatime, softdep,
noatime+softdep, mfs, mfs+noatime) on a VM with eight cores and 8gb of memory
using a dedicated 10gb disk for /var/cache/rpki-client.

(Preliminary) results here (currently avg. over 7-8 runs, will be 11):
https://storage.fiebig.nl/s/84TpQCTrQpa3S9j

Bottomline:
- Things are a lot faster all of a sudden. This might be related to more cores
(8 vs. 2 before) or more memory (8 vs. 4 before), a background task having been
running on the disks during the last tests, or the negative impact of those
initial boxes having had all files in one partition. I will at least test the
last case after the current benchmark has completed.
- noatime does not seem to have a major effect, and seems to reduce performance
upon import.
- You are right; softdep is nearly as good as mfs.

With best regards,
Tobias