Moving 9TB with dump|restore from an old hard disk to a bigger one
reminded me again that dump(8) is, well, slow:

  DUMP: 9104433830 tape blocks
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Sat Aug  6 16:36:52 2022
  DUMP: Date this dump completed:  Tue Aug  9 13:51:01 2022
  DUMP: Average transfer rate: 36530 KB/s

That is far below the read-write speed of a modern SATA drive.
systat(1) clearly showed that the source disk and dump(8) was the
bottleneck, not the target disk and restore(8).  Too much seeking?

And we are not talking about a filesystem full of small files.
Average size 3.9 GB, median 2.1 GB.

Both NetBSD and FreeBSD have in different ways added some kind of
caching to dump.  Has anybody looked into this?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de