On Wed, 14 Sept 2022 at 18:11, John Verne <john.ve...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm willing to sysupgrade to the latest snapshot for more
> comprehensive testing. I can't tell from the recent changes around usb
> in the tree what might have caused this, or if it's just my machine
> somehow. If there is some specific instrumentation or setup I can
> apply before upgrading to the recent snapshot that might help because
> the failure mode doesn't really allow me to collect info afterwards.
> Or, at least, I don't know how to do that.

I poked around the man pages for various "stat" commands but didn't
really know what would be useful. I saw there were some changes made
recently, but after the snapshot I was running, to DWC2 which is in
the dmesg I posted. So I took the chance and did a sysupgrade -s to
the Sept. 14 snapshot.

The upgrade went well (though the sysupgrade stalled at one point and
gave up -- but it did not lock up) and once it rebooted and was all
updated I tried a few downloads of big sets from a mirror without any
complaints.

So, tentatively, this is either fixed because it was never a problem,
or the recent usb or dwc changes (which are too large and unfamiliar
for me to make sense of) corrected a corner case with USB ethernet
devices.