Thank you for this interesting perspective.

Combined with the previous advice, I am convinced. I will not try to have the
machine sleep, or even try to put the drives in spun down. From what you guys
are saying, it seems doing so would be over-engineering.

What are your thoughts regarding reboots? Should I do a daily, weekly, monthly
reboot?